Members of the public are being warned not to consume the drink ‘Cole Cold Pear D’, after a 33-year-old man from Gosport died after drinking just a small amount of the now-discovered harmful cocktail.
Joromie Lewis from Gosport became ill immediately after drinking the liquid, containing a lethal amount of cocaine, and died within hours at Southampton General Hospital a week ago. He had purchased what he believed to be a genuine pear drink in the Southampton area.
Today (Thursday), Hampshire Constabulary alongside the Food Standards Agency have issued an alert to all local authorities to contact retailers to withdraw Pear-D if it is found. Anyone who finds they have a bottle of Pear-D should take the bottle to their local police station and are advised to contact the Food Standards Agency on 020 7276 8448.
It has been discovered that Pear-D is manufactured in the Caribbean and the company does not export this drink to the UK. Hampshire Constabulary’s Major Investigation Team are currently investigating the death.
DS Richard Pearson from Hampshire Constabulary has said in a statement:
“We are working closely with partner agencies, including Southampton’s Regulatory Services, Public Health England, the Food Standards Agency and other law enforcement agencies, including the National Crime Agency, to minimise any risk to the public and to investigate the circumstances leading to the tragic death of Mr Lewis.
“We are supporting his family and linking closely with public health departments. We have taken clear advice from partner agencies and, in light of the analysis of the contents of the bottle, a decision was made to issue the public alert by the Food Standards Agency.
“Enquiries to date have not identified any further incidents or similar bottles. The investigation suggests that this was likely to be a rogue bottle from a consignment of drugs stored in plastic juice bottles.
Article continues below this advertisement
“If anyone finds a bottle of Pear D juice like the picture, do not open the bottle. If sealed the bottle is perfectly safe. Take the bottle to the nearest police station, and we will examine the contents if appropriate.”