GRAND IDEAS FOR SANDOWN’S ONCE GRAND HOTEL THAT IS NOW TARGET OF ARSON ATTACKS

An iconic Sandown building could be in for a much-anticipated facelift, as a plan is submitted to refurbish and demolish parts of the Grand Hotel, restoring it to its former Art Deco glory.

Arson attacks have plagued the vacant hotel on Culver Parade in recent years and it is looking increasingly dilapidated.

On 5th January, 4 days after the application was submitted to the Isle of Wight Council, Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service crews were again called to outbuildings on the site.

Article continues below this advertisement

A separate plan to demolish them and build new holiday apartments has also been submitted to the council, but had to be revised when concerns were raised about the potential impact on the historic WWII Pluto Pipeline. It has now been confirmed the old fuel pipes skirt round the hotel site and its basement was not the location of the control centre.

The Grand Hotel (after)

Owner Nick Spyker is proposing that the main building’s walls are painted and its hotel signs are reinstalled.

Documents say the vision is to restore the hotel to its 1938 glory and its designer’s original concept. Ground floor extensions would also be torn down and the original external appearance of the building reinstated, where possible.

Designs drawn by MJH Architectural Service show vertical windows on the first and second floors, over the main entrance. Windows on the first and second floors would revert to their original design, old ones would be removed and new ones reflecting the Art Deco style would be installed.

Article continues below this advertisement

The ground floor lobby entrance would be demolished, reinstating the steps, canopy and entrance door, refurbishing the original revolving timber door.

There is no mention in the planning documents of whether or not the hotel would reopen, however.

It’s not the first time that planning permission has been sought for the site, with applications filed in 2012 and 2014.

To view the plans, 22/00017/FUL, you can visit the council’s planning register. Comments will be accepted until 18th February.

Article continues below this advertisement

Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
3 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Terry
Terry
3 months ago

Restore the facade and turn it into apartments, or let it fall down, it’s never going to be an hotel again, ( but would be good if it was).

Mariner58
Mariner58
3 months ago

I remember entering the building decades ago as part of a job to remove old furniture from some of the small, crowded and pokey rooms.

1938 expectations were rather different, it’ll need a lot more than returning it to it’s former ‘glory’ to make it viable today.

dot
dot
3 months ago

they’re hoping someone will burn it down then they got a clean slate to build what they wanted to do in the first place

 

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets