Breaking News


UPDATED: Firefighters from Ryde and Sandown are attending a fire at a residential property on Lake High Street this evening (Monday).

Traffic is heavy and backed up in the area as firefighters tackle what is understood to be a small kitchen fire in a ground floor flat.

4 breathing apparatus and 2 hose reels are being used to tackle the flames, with a main jet and COBRA on standby.

Article continues below this advertisement

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service were alerted at just before 16:40.

UPDATE @ 17:30 – A third appliance from Shanklin is now on scene as fire crews continue to tackle the fire.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus have re-entered the property with a thermal imaging camera.

UPDATE @ 18:26 – 3 appliances remain on the scene this evening, however the fire has been extinguished and Breathing Apparatus crews have now withdrawn from the property.

Article continues below this advertisement

Motorists are advised to avoid the area as traffic is still heavy in both directions.

UPDATE @ 18:55 – The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are now preparing to leave the incident having successfully extinguished the fire, which has been confirmed as starting in a chip pan in the kitchen.

Both the ground floor and first floor properties have been affected by the fire. The British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Unit (FES) is providing assistance to the single male occupant of the ground floor property.

Leighton Bryant of the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service is advising Islanders to think carefully about only using a thermostatically controlled fryer or oven-cooked chips to help prevent incidents such as these.

Thankfully, smoke detectors were present and working resulting in a quick alert and response to the fire.

UPDATE @ 20:00 – Fire crews have now left the scene.

1 person has been checked over by paramedics from the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service.


Comment on this story

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets