Breaking News


hongkongexpressThe owner of Hong Kong Express in Ryde has been fined £1,200 and ordered to pay an additional £620 after being found to be breaking food safety regulations.

Michael Hang, 55 and of Rowen Tree Drive, Seaview appeared in court on Monday after the Isle of Wight Council found that food was placed on sale that was unsafe, namely a portion of barbecued spare ribs of pork which was said to be nut-free when it was not.

Appearing at the Isle of Wight Magistrates Court after contravening food safety requirements and failing to give assistance or information to a person acting in execution of Food Safety Act 1990, Mr Hang was fined £1,200 with £500 costs and an additional £120 surcharge.

Article continues below this advertisement

Last year a 15-year-old Island boy died after eating a meal at Hong Kong Express in Ryde believing it was nut-free. He died after suffering an anaphylaxic shock.

Do you follow Island Echo on Facebook?
Get access to exclusive news, photos, videos and merchandise by becoming a supporter through Facebook Subscriptions! Find out more at

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets