The quick-thinking actions of a postman have helped prevent a fire in a bin from engulfing a property in Kite Hill this morning (Thursday).

2 appliances and a fire officer from Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are currently in attendance at a residential property near Fishbourne where a recycling bin has caught alight.

The fire was discovered shortly before 10:00 by a postman on a delivery round. The postie, who wishes to remain anonymous at this time, used the property’s garden hose to begin battling the flames.

Article continues below this advertisement

Firefighters on scene have told Island Echo that his heroic efforts could well have helped prevent the fire from spreading to the large and ornate property.

Crews are using a hose reel jet to dowse the fire and dampen down the area.

[email protected] 10:35 – Wholetime firefighters from Newport and Ryde have now fully extinguished the fire and made the scene safe.

Some damage to the house has occurred, with melted guttering being seen. The bin in which the fire started has also melted, with the lid of the bin now unrecognisable.

Firefighters have now stood down with the incident now brought to a close.

Article continues below this advertisement

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
MC hammer
MC hammer
1 month ago

First class postie,x

Football Betting Site Betway

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets