UPDATED: POLICE, FIRE AND AMBULANCE CREWS RESPOND TO CRASH IN FRESHWATER

Emergency services are in attendance at a road traffic collision in Freshwater this afternoon (Wednesday).

The incident has taken place on The Avenue at the junction with Amos Hill.

Paramedics from the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service are tending to the occupant or occupants of a blue Ford Ka, assisted by firefighters from Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service. An operational commander from the ambulance service is also on scene.

It’s thought the collision occurred at around 16:00.

The road has been closed by Police in both directions.

A spokesperson for Hampshire Constabulary has said:

“We were called at 3.47pm today to assist the ambulance service following a collision involving 2 vehicles.

UPDATE – It has been confirmed that the female driver of the Ford Ka was extricated from the vehicle by means of a roof removal.

She is now at home recovering from minor injuries.

Photo: Freshwater Fire Station

Nomorethoughtpolice
Nomorethoughtpolice
12 days ago

Another one will be along soon…..welcome to the Isle of crash..

bob one
bob one
12 days ago

i think all you lot on that island need driving lessons

Me me
Me me
Reply to  bob one
12 days ago

Maybe you too then don’t comment on what you don’t know It could of been just a accident

bob one
bob one
Reply to  Me me

yes it was a accident

Bruce Ismay
Bruce Ismay
Reply to  bob one
12 days ago

I think you need to FO mate. I was travelling down from Cheshire last week and saw more accidents in one day than I’ve seen on here in a week. Time for you to quietly remove yourself. Thanks.

bob one
bob one
Reply to  Bruce Ismay
12 days ago

and it was you that caused them

Ting tong from tooting
Ting tong from tooting
Reply to  bob one

Lmfao…well said Bob.

Bruce Ismay
Bruce Ismay
Reply to  bob one
10 days ago

Yeah. I did a good job causing all those accidents in the passenger seat didn’t I. Idiot. The only accident here is you. Ask your parents.

Ting tong from tooting
Ting tong from tooting
Reply to  Bruce Ismay
12 days ago

You what ? Well I travelled from London to Moscow last week and I saw more accidents On that trip then a whole month on the IW !

Bruce Ismay
Bruce Ismay
Reply to  Ting tong from tooting
10 days ago

You’ve just backed up my point you utter clown.

Chris Field
Chris Field
12 days ago

I cannot believe it’s taken this long fir someone to have Ed an accident?
I live on the the Avenue and they use it as as Race Track, it is only a matter of time until someone is killed.They need to install speed humps.

disillusioned
disillusioned
Reply to  Chris Field
12 days ago

Speed humps can slow drivers down, but what’s really needed is for people to stop driving like idiots! Unless of course this collision was caused by a medical episode, in which case, I wish the person a full a speedy recovery. Something is wrong on this island though, there is a crash, and usually a serious one, pretty much everyday!

Hayley Marie West
Hayley Marie West
Reply to  disillusioned
10 days ago

They don’t respect the roads, there country roads and not a motorway. And people are so impatient. Taking so many risks . The roads are so busy now people need to slow down . We were on military road last week 5 motor bikes over take 6 cars and cycle racers on a corner . Cars coming the other way. . And it was awful to watch .

Steve
Steve
12 days ago

I live not far from the avenue and use the road alot traffic along there especially in the summer months Is ridiculous. It needs double yellows the full length of it or urban clearway in the summer as the biggest issue with that road is the parked cars dumped down there drivers just get frustrated trying to get past them which can take along time. Worst part is near Abbeyfield care home the the road narrows and the pavement is worn down from cars buses lorries having to use it to pass the parked cars which is dangerous for anyone walking on it.

truthouts
truthouts
Reply to  Steve
12 days ago

I totally agree. The parked cars along there cause a major road safety risk. Often you get a group of four or five cars, then a gap of a few yards and another 4 or five cars parked and then the parking starts on the other side of the road.

Arthur Reeder
Arthur Reeder
12 days ago

I also use this road a lot. The visibility is generally very good as the road is quite straight. However, speed in general is a major issue on the island I would disagree about the parked cars.
Those parked actually do the same function as those in Palance Road, they actually slow the traffic down. Take away the parked vehicles and you have long roads. Long clear roads equals increased speed.

truthouts
truthouts
Reply to  Arthur Reeder
12 days ago

I’m not a believer in this parked cars cause a “natural chicane” which slows down traffic. It just makes it more difficult for pedestrians to negotiate crossing the road as the cars dive in to every available gap or simply force their way through taking scant notice of pedestrians.

There are many options then for slowing the traffic down, speed humps, pedestrian crossing or even a speed camera.

YJC
YJC
12 days ago

Hope they are all okay. It says “Updated” Where is the update?