PERSONS FEARED TRAPPED IN RYDE FLAT FIRE

Published at:

Firefighters have rushed to a block of flats in Ryde this afternoon (Sunday) – but the incident has quickly been scaled back. 

3 appliances – 2 from Ryde and 1 from Newport – were mobilised to Union Road at just before 16:30 amid fears persons were trapped inside a burning building.

An elderly woman is currently being treated for the effects of smoke inhalation but it has been confirmed that no persons are trapped inside the property – Hawk House.

Article continues below this advertisement

Fire crews are using breathing apparatus and a hose reel to tackle the small fire.

Police initially responded to the incident but have now stood down, as have 2 of the 3 fire appliances.

The Isle of Wight Ambulance Service has arrived on scene in the past few minutes with  a paramedic crew and a duty officer.

UPDATE @ 16:52 – The cause of the fire has been identified as plastic being left on the hob of a cooker.

Article continues below this advertisement

Did you know the majority of house fires occur in the kitchen? For safety information concerning cooking and kitchen appliances visit https://www.hantsfire.gov.uk/keeping-safe/loveyourhome/firehazards/kitchen/.

 

 

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
Newest Oldest Most Voted
Johnny c
Johnny c
Offline

Where’s superman when you need him?

Iron man.
Iron man.
Offline

Self Isolating

Mrs brown
Mrs brown
Offline

Hope the lady is ok

Clare
Clare
Offline

Elderly Lady, she must be traumatised, hope she’s ok..

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked"
Football Betting Site Betway
 

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets