Environmental Health inspectors conducted an inspection of the premises on Queens Road on Thursday (1st July) and returned the next day to issue a prohibition notice, preventing the establishment from using the gas supply within the hotel building.
An official document from the Isle of Wight Council states that the decision was taken due to the risk of serious personal injury with the danger of fire, explosion, gas leaks and carbon monoxide. There is said to be evidence that the gas installation and appliances are unsafe for use and need to be isolated immediately.
It’s not just the gas that is a cause for concern though as a prohibition notice has also been issued in respect of the hotel’s electricity supply. The Council believes that there is a risk of electrocution, electric shock or other serious personal injuries due to the potential degradation of fixed electrical systems as a consequence of the building not being used or maintained for a significant period of time.
The probation on the use of the hotel’s electricity was signed off on 23rd June as the hotel’s management team failed to undertake reasonably practicable maintenance to verify that electrics exposed to water ingress and potential rodent damage remained safe for continued use.
A notice stuck to the front door tells guests that the hotel has been closed ‘due to unexpected maintenance’, but in reality, the hotel has been legally forced to shut to all members of the public. It’s understood the hotel has remained closed since October 2019.
Island Echo is told that guests have been arriving only to find the premises locked up and 2 prohibition notices visible on the front door. Guests are advised to contact their booking agent for assistance.
Online booking websites appear to be accepting stays for the Melbourne Ardenlea from 15th July, but it is currently unclear when exactly the hotel will re-open. The hotel can only re-open once the matters have been remedied and re-inspected by Council officials.
According to Companies House, Parker Hospitality Limited is currently overdue on both its accounts and confirmation statement. Island Echo has attempted to make contact with the company but to no avail.
UPDATE @ 12:38 – An Isle of Wight Council spokesperson has told Island Echo:
“The Regulatory Services team were informed of concerns regarding the condition of the Melbourne Ardenelea Hotel, 4-6 Queen Road, Shanklin. The hotel was planning to open following the period of lockdown and it was alleged that since the premises had been closed conditions had deteriorated to an extent that it was unsafe and unhygienic.
Article continues below this advertisement
“Investigations into these allegations have resulted in the service of prohibition notices served under The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 as there was reason to believe that the gas and electrical installation and appliances were unsafe and use of which could result in a risk of serious personal injury. In addition, a number of other areas of improvement and remedial works have been required to ensure that the premises complied with relevant legal requirements.
“The police were called by officers when they attended the hotel on Friday evening to provide assistance to officers in order to undertake their statutory duties.”
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.