Breaking News First photos First reported by Island Echo

VIDEO: NO POLICE INVESTIGATION INTO DERELICT SCHOOL FIRE IN NEWPORT


A blaze that broke out at the former Trinity Middle School site in Newport late last night (Monday) is not being investigated by Police at the request of the site owners, it has been confirmed.

As first reported by Island Echo, firefighters were called to the Christ the King College lower campus Wellington Road, Carisbrooke shortly before 23:20 following reports of a fire within a derelict single-storey school building.

Island Echo understands that a firefighter returning home after drill night spotted the smoke issuing and alerted the control room.

Article continues below this advertisement

The incident was very quickly scaled up from 4 pumps to 10, with crews from every station on the Isle of Wight involved in tackling the blaze. An aerial ladder platform was also drafted in alongside the Incident Command Unit, several senior officers and the service’s workshop team.

A further 4 appliances from Beaulieu, St Mary’s, Cosham and Southsea were brought over from Hampshire to provide additional fire cover overnight.

A total of 28 breathing apparatus, 2 hose reel jets, 1 main jet and the specialist COBRA equipment were used to bring the fire under control with more than 50 firefighters on scene. Positive Pressure Ventilation was used to clear toxic smoke from the building.

The fire in the roof space measured 50m x 70m.

Article continues below this advertisement

Shortly after 04:00 this morning the fire had been extinguished and by 05:15 the incident was brought to a close with all appliances returning to their home stations – some 6 hours after the incident began.

A spokesperson for Hampshire Constabulary has told Island Echo:

“We were called regarding the small fire at an address in Wellington Road, at 11.18pm yesterday.

“No significant damage was caused.

“The site is due to be demolished soon and as such the owners do not request any further police action”.

Thankfully, no one has been injured as a result of the incident.

The Isle of Wight Council’s Cabinet member for public protection, Councillor Tig Outlaw, said:

“I would like to thank our fire and rescue service for their professionalism and swift action in dealing with this incident at this derelict site.

“Clearly the cause will be fully investigated, and the site, which was under the responsibility of contractors, will remain closed off.

“It Is not believed the incident will affect the running of the school when it reopens next term”.

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are treated in the incident as suspected arson.

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.

10
Comment on this story

avatar
newest oldest most voted
Derek
Guest
Derek

I would be very suspicious about why the site owners do not want it investigated. That alone would suggest a need for a thorough investigation.

JHVF
Guest
JHVF

Since when did owners have the option of whether the Police investigated orot

RICHARD
Guest
RICHARD

does anyone know who owns the building still as it would be great to get some pictures as it used t be my old school. Im afraid I wasn’t even aware it was due to be demolished any information would be appreciated.

West Wighter
Guest
West Wighter

I smell a rat!!

JHVF
Guest
JHVF

“A small fire” How many appliances ?

Some Guy
Guest
Some Guy

Insurance job?

Defo insurance fraud
Guest
Defo insurance fraud

Must be

Jurdy
Guest
Jurdy

So perhaps the current owners will also cover the cost of the work that the local and mainland fire brigades had to do .
I should imagine that the cost will run into thousands of pounds. Why should the islanders have to pick up the tab?

Red
Guest
Red

So how were they going to get mainland crews over…. if there was no boats running till 04.00.
And was is true we had only 1 appliance covering the whole island until the boat ran again. If so, say another fire happened in that time what contingency plans were in place.
Just a thought

Penny Green
Guest
Penny Green

Demolition and removal of debris not wanted including asbestos is not cheap – so to fire the place would be a cheap option for the owner… all too convenient!

Football Betting Site Betway
  data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked"

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets