This is your weekly round-up of some of the latest court cases heard at the Isle of Wight Magistrates Court.
The defendant’s name, age, address and details of the charge(s) and sentence are published in accordance with Criminal Procedure Rule 5.8, as agreed by HMCTS and the Society of Editors and approved by the Lord Chancellor. Not all cases heard will appear on this round-up due to legal restrictions.
This article is published from official information issued by HM Courts and Tribunal Service and is covered by qualified privilege. Please note: names/details of convictions will not be removed from this article on the basis of the convicted individual or their families requesting such action.
Monday 19th April – Friday 23rd April 2021
• Hannah Louise Bourdon, 34, of Leed Street in Sandown was found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to a protect animal, namely a dog. She kicked the dog and swung the animal into a window, as well as hanging the dog suspended by its collar. She was handed a conditional discharge for 12 months and ordered to pay £150 costs with a £22 surcharge. An order was made to deprive Bourdon of her rights to the pug type dog.
• Rhys Patrick Davies, 32, of Avenue Road in Sandown was jailed for 14 weeks for a string of theft offences. A suspended sentence of 12 weeks, suspended for 12 months, was activated.
• Simon Kevin Cooper-Smith, 31, of Madeira Road in Ventnor was disqualified from driving for 17 months after admitting drink driving (65). He was fined £346 and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £35 surcharge.
• Rio Tyrrell Scott, 25, of St Johns Road in Ryde was fined £166 for assaulting an emergency worker, namely a Police Constable. He was also ordered to pay £85 costs with a £34 surcharge.
• James Anthony Glover, 50, of Fort Street in Sandown, pleaded guilty to assault by beating. He was fined £40 and made subject to a community order with 20 rehabilitation days. He was ordered to pay a £95 victim surcharge.
• Joseph Charles Cooper, 34, of Dorset Gardens in Brighton, was fined £415 and given 10 penalty points after pleaded guilty to vehicle interference and being in charge of a motor vehicle whilst over the drink-drive limit (108). He was ordered to pay £55 costs with a £42 surcharge.
• Jason Hanmer-Bennett, 34, of Charters Gate Way in Haywards Heath, East Sussex, was fined £332 after admitting being in charge of a motor vehicle whilst over the drink-drive limit (87). He was told to pay costs of £775 and handed 10 penalty points.
• George James Swain, 22, of Quay Street in Newport, was given a 12 month conditional discharge for possession of a Class B drug (cannabis) and possession of a Class A drug (MDMA). He was ordered to pay £85 costs with a £22 surcharge.
• Andrew Mark Barnes, 46, of Sandcove Rise in Seaview, pleaded guilty to assault by beating. He was made subject to a community order with 10 rehabilitation days. He must also pay £85 costs with a £95 surcharge.