Residents across the Isle of Wight have been given clarity over the future of local governance, with confirmation from Government that the Island will remain a single unitary authority and will not be merged with any neighbouring councils under Local Government Reorganisation.
The decision has been welcomed by Isle of Wight Council Leader, Councillor Phil Jordan, who has described the outcome as a significant moment for the Island following months of discussions and representations to Labour’s Government.
Councillor Jordan has today (Wednesday) said:
“This is a hugely positive moment for the Isle of Wight. Today’s decision provides the clarity, stability, and security that our residents, businesses and communities rightly deserve.
“From the outset, I have been absolutely clear: the Isle of Wight is unique, and its governance must reflect that. We are not simply another adjacent or attached authority that can be merged or absorbed. We are an Island community with distinct needs, challenges and strengths – and today that has been recognised.”
The Council Leader has highlighted the work undertaken to secure the decision, including engagement with central Government, local partners and other authorities.
He continued by saying:
“This outcome has not happened by chance. It has required persistence, evidence, and a clear vision for what is right for our Island.
“I have worked tirelessly with partners, with other Authorities and with Government in Westminster to ensure that our voice was heard – and ensured that the case for remaining a single unitary authority was understood and accepted.
“In a challenging financial climate, certainty is invaluable. This decision allows us to focus fully on what we must do and deliver for our residents – protecting essential services, driving efficiency, and planning confidently for the future without the disruption and risk that structural change or a merger would have brought.”
Councillor Jordan also acknowledged that there had not been unanimous support locally during the process.
“While I am very proud of what has been achieved, it is important to recognise that this was not universally supported. At a crucial moment last year, some councillors chose not to endorse the option to remain unchanged. They preferred to remain silent in supporting the Island to remain unchanged.
“That approach risked weakening our position and creating uncertainty for the Island. However, I remained steadfast and determined. I believed in the strength of our case and the importance of standing up for the Isle of Wight – and today’s announcement shows that was the right course.”
Looking ahead, the Council Leader said attention will now turn to securing fairer funding from Government and ensuring the Island is well positioned for the future.





















































































Maybe, we have had 20 U turns in under 2 years.
Prsistence, evidence and a clear vision, three statements that would get the IOW council done under the trades description act if they continued spouting such nonsense..
Now can we go back to being The Isle of Wight, instead of Hampshire & Wight? I’m sick and tired of my bills going up to pay for more police on the Mainland!
A sad day, that will mean IW will remain Dinosaur Isle
possibly under Deform rule, what a frightening thought!
Fingers crossed in May people do their homework before
ticking the boxes.
If you don’t like it here, you’re always moaning about roads or whatever the latest topic is, then move off the island.
I’ve recently heard that our glorious council leader is in conversation to house illegal immigrants on the island, anyone know if there is any substance to these rumours?
Probably, 3 care homes have been closed 2 in Ryde and 1 in Freshwater, so they could be easily used to house illegals, and the Jersey Cadet Camp in Porchfield has all new signage and fencing all around it, so I am suspicious of what we are NOT being told.
Great idea, many are respectful persons unlike many
locals who vandalise war Memorials and attack pensioners
or people in wheelchairs.
Give me a migrant anyday of the week.
The island needs diversity it might make it a better place.
You really are nuts aren’t you.
Of course councillor Jordan is happy. At least being an isolated island he can still vote in his diabolical pay rise and let us minions pay for all their bad decisions.
£131 for a Band B single person in a flat. Gone up over £10.for what, crap roads , diabolical refuse collections where bins get thrown back and we pay if they break. Policing is getting more and more lack of control oh yes .of course he’s happy
Its going on a tiny minority of the population that consume social care services like candy.
Common sense at last let’s start acting like a small unique island talking to a visitor last week he said its like stepping back 50 years let’s keep it that way
Then he woke up from his dream.
Crime is rife thesedays on the island, wake up F.F.S
don’t be deluded.
Good start… now get a tunnel built so more business’ can open up on the island..
Imagine what all the ferry car parks spaces could be used for, if there was a tunnel..