Firefighters across the country, including the Isle of Wight, are set to strike for the second time in just over 4 weeks as the Fire Brigade Union agree to walk out for 5 hours on Saturday 19th October.
Last month picket lines were established at Newport and Ryde Fire Stations in support of the FBU’s strike action in a row over pensions. Today (Friday), the FBU announced that its members will strike again for a total of five hours from 18:30 next Saturday.
During this time, fire cover will be maintained on the Island by non-FBU members who will attend life-critical incidents such as house fires or road traffic incidents. Fire control will not be affected by the strike and will be operating as normal – people should continue to dial 999 in an emergency.
General Secretary of the FBU, Matt Wrack, said:
“We had hoped our first strike was enough to show Government that firefighters could not be more serious about protecting public safety and ensuring fair pensions.
“No firefighter wants to strike, and it’s desperately disappointing that governments in Westminster and Cardiff continue to deny reality over pensions costs and the need for a pension scheme that reflects the job firefighters do.
“Firefighters simply cannot be expected to fight fires and rescue families in their late 50s and into their 60s.
“We hope this second strike will mean both governments will be willing to discuss the full range of concerns that firefighters and the general public have expressed.”
Article continues below this advertisement
Further strike action has not been ruled out says the union.
Photo: Sharron Gibbs