Breaking News First reported by Island Echo


UPDATED: Firefighters from Shanklin and Ryde are tackling a toilet block fire at Lake Cliff Gardens this afternoon (Monday).

2 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus have entered the building and are using a hose reel to extinguish the fire.

Its understood a waste bin has ignited, causing heat damage to a towel dispenser also.

Article continues below this advertisement

The alarm was raised by a member of the public shortly before 15:30.

UPDATE @ 16:31 – Positive Pressure Ventilation has been used to rid the gentleman’s toilet of smoke.

Unfortunately, the apparent deliberate act has forced the closure of the public convenience.

Crews have now stood down from the incident.

Article continues below this advertisement

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times. data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked"

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets