Damaged sewerage infrastructure is said to be the likely cause of a void that was discovered in Quay Street in Newport on Sunday evening.
As previously reported by Island Echo, a 12ft wide void was found under the road when a sinkhole appeared outside the law courts.
Concerned members of the public alerted the highways contractor to the developing situation, which prompted a multi-agency response. Closer inspection of the 2ft wide hole that had formed revealed a massive void.
Now, Island Roads says Southern Water has taken charge of the site while investigations continue.
A full road closure remains in place as excavation and repair works take place.
Parking is still available on either side of the closure.



















































































I told you stink hole
Looks like a big job to me.
Oh no not another situation made worse by Southern Waters lack of inspections – or don’t they do them anymore?
I’d have thought the sewer pipe was more likely to be underneath the Quay Street sink hole, not behind it.
“Southern Water has taken charge of the site”
Oh great,.. that’ll be 12 months at least then 🙁
or maybe another excuse for sewage discharge into the river …
Don’t think its behind it, think its below it.
Not another un-repaired pot hole ️