Breaking News

HOUSE FIRE CAUSES DAMAGE IN COWES

Isle of Wight Fire & Rescue LogoUPDATED: Firefighters from Cowes, Newport and Ryde have successfully extinguished a house fire in Thetis Road, Cowes this afternoon (Saturday). 

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service were alerted to a fire at the terraced property at the far end of Thetis Road at around 12:30.

Unknown if any persons were inside, 3 appliances were mobilised to the scene and 4 firefighters with breathing apparatus entered the property to tackle the fire using 2 hose reels. Thankfully, it was discovered that no one was inside, although firefighters have managed to safely rescue a hamster.

Article continues below this advertisement

It has been confirmed to Island Echo that the fire broke out in a utility room off the kitchen on the ground floor. Although the fire damage has been contained, smoke has spread throughout the property including to the first floor.

imagePositive Pressure Ventilation has been used to rid the building of smoke.

Meanwhile the British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Unit has been requested to attend the scene to support the household, who are yet to be located and informed of the incident.

Crews from Newport and Ryde have now stood down and are returning to station. 1 appliance remains on scene.

UPDATE @ 14:25 – The occupants of the property have now been informed of the incident. Accommodation arrangements are being made.

Article continues below this advertisement

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are due to leave the scene shortly.

Comment on this story

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets