Breaking News


A flat fire that spread through a building in Ventnor has left several families homeless only days before Christmas, after the blaze gutted the property.

Fire crews were called to Pound Lane in the town shortly after 17:30 yesterday evening after the alarm was raised that a first floor flat was ablaze. Three appliances from Newport, Ryde and Ventnor raced to the scene, however it was soon made clear that the fire had become out of control. A further 4 appliances including the skylift aerial platform were requested.

Article continues below this advertisement

The roof of the property has been destroyed alongside 40% of the first and second floor flats, after firefighters battled against the blaze for over 12 hours.

The fire was finally extinguished at 09:30 this morning, however two crews remained on scene damping down the properties and inspecting the damage caused.

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times. data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked"

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets