This is your weekly round-up of some of the latest court cases heard at the Isle of Wight Magistrates Court.
The defendant’s name, age, address and details of the charge(s) and sentence are published in accordance with Criminal Procedure Rule 5.8, as agreed by HMCTS and the Society of Editors and approved by the Lord Chancellor. Not all cases heard will appear on this round-up due to legal restrictions.
This article is published from official information issued by HM Courts and Tribunal Service and is covered by qualified privilege. Please note: names/details of convictions will not be removed from this article on the basis of the convicted individual or their families requesting such action.
Monday 27th September – Friday 1st October 2021
• Peter Spencer Larkin, 55, of Carisbrooke Road in Newport, was fined £80 for failing to comply with the requirements of a community order. He was also ordered to pay £60 costs.
• Jake Dunkling, 32, of Nettlestone Green, Nettlestone pleaded guilty to assault by beating and failing to surrender. He was fined £108 and made subject to a 12-month community order with 15 rehabilitation days and a 12-month restraining order. He was also ordered to pay £350 costs with a £95 surcharge.
• Michael Phillips, 38, of Burnthouse Lane in Alverstone pleaded guilty to theft from a shop. He was fined £120, ordered to pay £100 compensation and costs of £85 with a £34 surcharge. He was fined a further £60 for breach of a conditional discharge.
• Frederick Edward Medway, 30, of St John’s Road in Ryde, was given a 14-month prison sentence for a string of offences after being found guilty by the Magistrates court. The offences included assaulting an emergency worker; causing harassment, alarm or distress; failing to surrender (x3); commission of a further offence whilst subject to a conditional discharge and breaching an 18-month suspended sentence.
• Jack Hobbins, 19, of Five Houses Lane in Calbourne, pleaded guilty to possession of a pocket knife and assault by beating. He was made subject to a 12-month community order with 15 rehabilitation days and 120 hours of unpaid work attached. He was also ordered to pay £95 surcharge
• Daniel Harris, 30, of Harding Road in Ryde, admitted breaching a non-molestation order. He was fined £120 and ordered to pay a £34 surcharge.
• Jared Cousins, 23, of Colwell Road in Freshwater, pleaded guilty to using threatening/abusive/insulting words/behaviour with intent to cause fear of violence. He was made subject to a 12-month community order with 80 hours of unpaid work attached. He was ordered to pay £85 costs with a £95 surcharge.
• John Banting, 82, of Hinton Road in Newport, pleaded guilty to drink driving (58). He was disqualified from driving for 15 months, fined £323 and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £34 surcharge.
• Robert Burnett, 38, of Godric Road in Newport, pleaded guilty to possession of a Class C drug – benzodiazepine. He was fined £40 and ordered to pay £85 costs with a £34 surcharge.
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.