Breaking News


IMG_5422.JPGUPDATED WITH VIDEO: Two appliances from Newport Fire Station are tonight (Saturday) attending a property in the town after receiving reports of a faulty gas boiler.

Fire crews have isolated the gas supply at a terraced home in Union Street and are currently investigating the incident further. The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service were alerted to the incident at 21:10.

An officer from IWFRS is also in attendance at the incident.

Article continues below this advertisement

It is believed there is no risk to neighbouring properties and no residents have been evacuated.

The road has been closed in both directions by Police, however is due to reopen shortly.

UPDATE @ 22:15 – Firefighters have now left the scene and the road has reopened.

Island Echo understands that faulty bathroom electrics were discovered to be the cause of the alarm after investigation.

[pullquote]Firemen have made the house safe etc. Very scary[/pullquote]

Article continues below this advertisement

UPDATE SUNDAY – The home owner at the center of last night’s emergency response has told Island Echo how she witnessed smoke issuing from the corner of her bathroom whilst bathing her son. Grabbing her children and evacuating the room, she dialled 999 believing the boiler was at fault however, further investigations revealed a shaver socket had completely burnt out.

The young family have been left without electricity in the upper half of the house, however have escaped any injury.

Comment on this story

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets