Two appliances from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service were mobilized to Milano Creations Cafe on Union Street at just before 07:40, where it was discovered a deep fat fryer had caught fire.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus have entered the property and removed the smoking fryer. Ventilation is taking place to rid the building of smoke.
One male, a worker at the cafe, has been treated for the effects of smoke inhalation by firefighters.
Union Street remains open.
UPDATE @ 10:05 – Crews have now left the scene.