4 of the finals went to 5 sets, with the evening culminating in a spectacular Men’s Championship clash between the season’s unbeaten Scott Lawson and the younger Hugh Idle. Both players showed streaks of excellent attacking play throughout the match with Hugh just proving the stronger.
Apart from Hugh, the younger players were well represented in the finals by Lewis Johnstone, Ryan Cates, and Joe Millward, which bodes well for the future of table tennis on the Island.
The most successful player was Pat Thorley, who won the Over-70s Championship, the Ladies’ Championship, and the Mixed Doubles, where she was partnered by Men’s Champion, Hugh Idle.
All the Final’s Night Winners …
- Doubles Handicap: Derek Pittard and Tom Flood
- Super Vets Handicap: Tim Giles
- Brian Warne Handicap: Lee Orton and Joe Millward
- Gordon Burns Handicap: Danny Burns
- Hard Bat Singles: Alex Rorke
- Hard Bat Doubles: Mike Turner and Maggie Preston
- Over 40s Championship: Mike Turner
- Over 60s Championship: Tim Giles
- Over 70s Championship: Pat Thorley
- Cadets Championship: Lewis Johnstone
- Junior Championship: Lewis Johnstone
- Third Division Championship: Paul Lewis
- Second Division Championship: Graham Evans
- Mixed Doubles: Hugh Idle and Pat Thorley
- Ladies’ Doubles: Maggie Preston and Marlene Irving
- Men’s Doubles: Scott Lawson and Lee Orton
- Ladies’ Championship: Pat Thorley
- Men’s Championship: Hugh Idle
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.