Breaking News

TWO TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER NEWPORT HOUSE FIRE 

imageTwo people have been taken to hospital for precautionary check ups following a house fire in Newport this morning (Sunday).

Three appliances from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service, two from Newport and one from Cowes, were mobilised to 74 Hunnyhill at 03:00 following reports of a property fire.

One appliance was stood down after it was established no persons were trapped inside the terraced home, however two appliances remained on scene to tackle the fire – the cause of which has been identified as burnt food on the stove.

Article continues below this advertisment

pumpnightresidentialThe property was heavily smoke logged throughout, however the fire was contained to the kitchen. A working smoke alarm was installed and activated.

Paramedics from the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service, including a rapid response paramedic, were sent to the scene and following an examination, the decision was made to take the two occupants of the house to nearby St Mary’s Hospital as a precaution.

The road was temporarily blocked for an hour whilst emergency services dealt with the incident.

Crews left the scene at just before 04:00. 

 

Comment on this story

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets