Despite having a population of just over 3,000 people, Wootton has historically had 5 public houses – 4 of which remain to this day.
The Greyhound Inn
The Greyhound was probably Wootton’s first pub.
It was believed to have been located in a building next to the corn mill.
The earliest record of The Greyhound comes from 1775, when it was stated:
““In July 1775 Joseph Tarver of Romsey, Hampshire and William Hearn of Hazeley Manor, Arreton, joint lords of the Manor of Briddlesford, sold to James Perry of Kite Hill, Binstead, a miller by trade, the Greyhound Public House at Wootton.”
In 1781, the Greyhound Inn was sold to Phillip Ballard, a maltster, who had recently built a further Wootton public house – The Sloop.
It has been assumed that the closure of the Greyhound was related to the establishment of The Sloop.
The Sloop

The historic Sloop Inn – the oldest still in operation – has been in the village since at least the 1780s.
The first landlady of whom we have record was Ann Gumm, who took over the premises in 1782.
The Sloop was named after the old sailing sloops that used to carry cargo from the mainland. In the 19th century, it was a regular stop for stagecoaches between Wootton and Ryde.
In the 20th century, Wootton village residents would refer to “Wootton Bridge Time” (07:45). This was because a clock in a shop next to the Sloop – the location of the bus stop – had stopped and permanently displayed this time.
It has recently been announced that the Sloop is set to be renamed Stonehouse at the Tide Mill. Its owners had previously attempted to change the name to The Watermill, but the proposal was withdrawn after strong objections from the Parish Council.
The Woodmans Arms

Located at the top end of the village near the Briddlesford/Station Road crossroads, the Woodmans – which was originally 2 cottages – is thought to date back to the 1840s.
The earliest landlady for whom we have a record was Martha Cooper (from 1861). From 1875 to 1966, it would have been the most convenient place to buy a drink for passengers alighting from Wootton Railway Station.
The Woodman’s Arms is run by brothers Harry and Ronnie Fletcher and was refurbished in the spring of last year.
The Cedars

The Cedars – situated at the juction of the High Street and Station Road – was originally built for former headmaster Edmund Brading in 1901.
The Cedar Hotel was formally opened on 6th May 1955 by L P Mew, Managing Director and Chairman of W B Mew Langton & Co. It remains a going concern.
The original hotel had 2 public rooms plus 3 bedrooms for the accommodation of visitors. There was also a family room in which parents could leave their children. The public rooms were said to have been tastefully decorated with red chairs and tables with dartboards in both. Summer teas were provided in the ‘spacious well laid out garden.
The first lcensee of the Cedars was Flight. Lieut. E. J. Francis, who had recently left the RAF. He was assisted in his tasks by a wife and 2 daughters.
The Lakeside Inn
The Lakeside is located by the millpond, previously used by Wootton residents for rowing in the summer and skating when frozen.
The first development of Lakeside came on 19th June 1937 when what was referred to as a ‘splendid new cafe’ by the Millpond was opened. By the following year, a swimming pool (later known as the Tahiti Ballroom) were added to the complex. Plans were put in place to add 2 tennis courts and an 18-hole putting green.

After World War II, the ownership of Lakeside passed to Lakeside Estates based in London. In 1953, Sir Donald Campbell tested a radio-controlled prototype of his record breaking jet-propelled hydroplane Bluebird on the Millpond.
Lakeside Cafe became Lakeside Inn when purchased by Commander Fulljames. A campsite was added together with wooden chalets. In 1976, it became known as Lakeside Country Club. However, holiday trends were changing, with fewer visitors, and the camp closed around 1980.
In 1988, the now deserted complex of 15 acres was bought by Leading Leisure of Southampton with the intention of building 60 holiday lodges. The site again changed hands in 1991 when bought by Wembley PLC, who demolished the original complex. A wooden restaurant called The Boathouse was constructed in its place, but the venture was not a success.
In May 2000, the land and buildings were sold to Godshill Park Development for £393,625. In 2006, a proposal was placed before Isle of Wight Council for a 56-bed 4 star hotel at Lakeside. Site clearance began in May 2007 with construction work beginning in the autumn of that year.
The complex is now known as Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa.





















































































