The Chief Fire Officer of Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service (HWIFRS) will be asked to report directly to the Council amid calls for an inquiry into the state of the service, with one councillor stating that the Island is ‘exposed to significant dangers’.
Councillor Karen Lucioni, Chair of the Environment and Community Protection Committee, and County Hall leader Councillor Phil Jordan, both part of the Alliance group, have spoken out after the Fire Brigades Union’s (FBU) statement last week relating to the ‘slow and scrambled’ response to the Cygnet Hotel blaze.
The FBU sounded the alarm after the 18th October fire and said 5 fire engines had to be ferried across the Solent to the Isle of Wight to provide cover, as previously reported by Island Echo.
Firefighters were ‘forced to scrape together resources’ in response to the Sandown emergency in what was a ‘scrapheap challenge’ approach to running a fire service, the union said.

On Sunday (26th October), East Cowes independent councillor Karl Love wrote to all Isle of Wight councillors and 2 County Hall officers, calling for an urgent investigation into the state of HIWFRS. His email said the FBU statement suggested the Island is ‘currently exposed to significant dangers’, with HIWFRS ‘unable to respond effectively to incidents’ on the Isle of Wight.
Cllr Jordan has responded saying that the Chief Fire Officer, Dr Sabrina Cohen-Hatton, will be asked to report directly to councillors shortly, which will include outlining how any improvements are being planned and implemented.

He has said:
“Public safety is absolutely our top priority, but I do completely understand why people are concerned, especially after such a serious fire in Sandown.
“Our emergency plans are robust, well-tested, and designed to handle major incidents — even if more than one were to happen at the same time.
“The Isle of Wight works very closely with Hampshire fire and rescue services, and extra crews and equipment can be sent across quickly whenever needed — and that system works. Priority access to the ferries is also guaranteed through previous arrangements.
“Island residents and businesses can be confident that their fire and rescue service is capable, coordinated, and ready to respond effectively when it matters most.”
Cllr Lucioni has added:
“As the Isle of Wight representative tasked with holding the fire chief accountable, including the critical issue of resilience on the Island, I remain steadfast in my commitment to this role.
“However, it is increasingly evident that our fire and rescue services are underfunded, and I and my other Fire Authority members have urged the government to reevaluate the funding formula.
“We witnessed the commendable rapid response of our firefighters, who mobilised two fire engines and an Aerial Ladder Platform within minutes of the first 999 call.
“Their dedication ensured that no one was injured, even as they bravely navigated the complexities of the situation, including the potential presence of a rough sleeper.
“It is crucial to recognise that while most resources came from our Island stations, our local services rely heavily on adequate funding to continue providing exceptional service and maintaining our community’s safety.”























































































This is what happens when you close fire stations and get rid of fire appliances. The government can waste money on illegal immigrants but can’t find the money to support the public’s safety.