Breaking News


shanklintheatrefireShanklin Theatre has this evening (Sunday) been evacuated following a small electrical fire.

Five appliances from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service, including the Aerial Ladder Platform, were called to the scene shortly before 19:40 after reports were received of smoke coming from the roof of the historical building in Steephill Road.

The audience of 150, who were watching a wrestling show, were evacuated from the theatre.

Article continues below this advertisement

UPDATED: It is understood a capacitor on a fuse board blew, causing smoke to be seen backstage.

Crews checked and ventilated the building before leaving the scene around 30 minutes later.

Photograph by Ally Nordbruch-Goode

Don’t forget to follow the Island’s news as it happens…

Article continues below this advertisement

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets