Joe Graig heading wide. Photo: Simon Dear


Published at:

Scott Sampson defending. Photo: Simon Dear

In a chaotic and somewhat bad-tempered encounter, Newport IW FC narrowly lost against Andover New Street on Saturday.

The Beatrice Avenue pitch was judged to be fit to play on Saturday morning, despite heavy rain over the preceding week. A sunny afternoon had been forecast, but the game was played in a constant downpour. No doubt the slippery condition of the pitch was at least partly responsible for the number of mistimed tackles throughout the game, leading to a flurry of red and yellow
cards being brandished by the officious referee, Adrian Knight.

Port made a number of changes to the starting line up to the one that had beaten Folland Sports the previous Saturday. Gary Streeter returned in goal in place of Ben Gearing, and Neo Lamb was given the nod in place of Jacob Reynolds. Port’s attacking potential was bolstered by the welcome return of Charlie Urry from suspension. The injured Connor Kelly was an unfortunate absence, and his place was taken by Mark Taylor.

Article continues below this advertisement

The first half was something of a dour affair, with Port clearly missing the pace of Connor Kelly up front. Andover took the lead in the 22nd minute with only their second attempt on goal, when
Luke Hooper connected with a long ball to score at the far post.

Missing the pace and creativity of leading scorer, Connor Kelly, it took Port until the 36th minute to manage their first shot on target. The first half ended in controversial fashion, when Ryan Hughes was bundled over in the New Street penalty area by an Andover defender. However, rather than awarding a spot kick, the referee simply blew his whistle for half time.

Half time: Newport IW 0-1 Andover New Street

Unlike the first half, the second half could not be described as being in any sense dull. Port began with attacking intent, with Mark Taylor being denied by the New Street keeper after a strong run in the 46th minute. However, New Street were to extend their lead in the 61st minute through a long shot by Shane Lock, to give the away side a 0-2 advantage.

Two minutes later, Port responded through a George Colson penalty, after Charlie Urry had been pushed in the penalty area, to make the score 1-2. However, Colson was bizarrely given his marching orders for a second yellow card shortly after scoring, in what appeared to be no more than a clash of heads with an opponent.

Article continues below this advertisement

A few minutes later, the visitors were also reduced to ten men, after one of their number clashed with Mark Taylor. Port were now in the ascendency, and created a number of chances. First, Neo Lamb had a free kick acrobatically saved by the New Street keeper, and then Jordan Browne headed just past the New Street post.

Andy Sampson threw on some fresh legs in an attempt to claw the game back for Port: Liam Triggs replacing Ryan Hughes and Lewis Wright coming on for captain, Martin McDonough. In a game never short on controversy, first assistant manager, the usually mild-mannered Stuart Shepherd, was red carded, presumably for being too vociferous with his opinions, then Spike Pearce was sin binned. Despite having a player fewer than their opponents, Port continued to attack. The home side’s fighting spirit appeared to have earned its reward, when a Lewis Wright cross-cum-shot found its way over the Andover keeper and into the back of the net, equalizing the score at 2-2 and provoking jubilation amongst the home supporters and players.

However, jubilation turned turned to despair in the third minute of injury time, when New Street’s Ilyas Warshow popped up in the Port penalty area to score a third goal for the visitors and send
the North Hampshire side home happy with a 2-3 victory.

Final score: Newport IW 2-3 Andover New Street

Newport IW: Streeter, Hughes (Triggs), Lamb, Pearce, McDonough (Wright), Sampson, Craig, Colson, Urry, Browne, Taylor Subs not used: Reynolds, Barron

Defeat leaves Port in 11th place in Wessex League One. Newport travel to 5th placed Whitchurch United on Saturday 30th November.

Andover Town 1-1 East Cowes Vics

While their tenants Newport were playing host to Andover New Street, Vics earned a creditable draw at New Street’s local rivals, Andover Town.

Vics took the lead in the 42nd minute at the Portway Stadium through Tyler Greenslade, who shot from twelve yards out after being put through by Joe Butcher. Andover Town then levelled the scores in the 78th minute through an Adam Pattison header.

Vics were lucky to return to East Cowes with a point after Andover Town saw a shot cannon off the crossbar as the game drew to a close.

Vics: K Steinbusse, Gregory, Newbold, Catania, Hayward, West, Chapman, Kirby, Burton, Butcher, Greenslade (Ahmed)

The draw at Andover leaves Vics in 18th position in Wessex League one. Vics will hope to continue their unbeaten run under manager Richie Woodburn when they entertain United Services Portsmouth at Beatrice Avenue on Saturday 30th November. The game will be covered by a full report on Island Echo.


The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
Football Betting Site Betway

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets