FIRE crews were called to Sandown Social Club last night to reports of a fire inside the building, however it was soon discovered to be a hoax.
The malicious call was made shortly before 23:15, just hours after the club announced it was closing its doors for good (as Island Echo reported yesterday).
Three pumping appliances were sent to the scene on York Road, Sandown following the 999 call, which was traced to a nearby public phone box.
Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue are branding this incident as a waste of resources.
This comes after firefighters from Ryde were called to Hong Kong Express on the Esplanade following a fire alarm activation. It was discovered upon arrival that someone had been smoking inside the premises, banned by law, which had caused the alarm to activate.