Breaking News


firenightsideonpumpnewportUPDATED: Firefighters are tonight (Monday) in attendance at a property in Cowes where a tumble dryer has caused a fire inside a family home, it is understood.

Crews from Newport and Cowes were called to the scene on Shamblers Road at around 22:00 following reports of a residential fire, the third in the last two days on the Island caused by home electrical appliances.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus have successfully tackled the blaze and prevented its spread.

Article continues below this advertisement

The occupants of the property have escaped without injury after the drying machine caught fire towards the rear of the building, causing the house to become smoke logged.

Island Echo understands a pet dog was rescued by a member of the public.

UPDATE @ 23:30 – An extension lead powering the electrical appliance has been identified as a possible cause for this evening’ fire.

Yesterday, the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service attended a fire on the other side of the River Medina caused by an electrical fault inside an oven. During the early hours of this morning, crews from Sandown and Shanklin attended a toaster fire in Shanklin.

Don’t forget to follow the Island’s news as it happens…

Article continues below this advertisement

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets