Smoke can be seen billowing from the first floor window of the terraced property.
No one is believed to be inside.
UPDATE @ 17:10 – Firefighters from Newport have successfully extinguished the blaze, which broke out in an upstairs bedroom at just before 16:40.
Two appliances are now on scene and fire crews have used breathing apparatus to enter the family home. The blaze has been contained to just the one property, however the first floor has been badly damaged.
Firefighters remain at Furrlongs damping down and ventilating the building.
No one has been injured in the incident.
UPDATE @ 18:26 – The British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support team are now providing support for the homeowners and helping them find alternative accommodation.
Spectrum Housing have secured the property.