Breaking News

ELDERLY RESIDENTS EVACUATED IN SHANKLIN FIRE

shanklinfireA number of elderly residents have been evacuated from sheltered accommodation in Shanklin tonight following the outbreak of a fire.

Two appliances from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are currently in attendance at Columbus House on Sandown Road after receiving reports of a property fire in a block of flats occupied by vulnerable residents.

Island Echo understands a small electrical fire broke out in the living room of one property, prompting the 999 response shortly before 23:30.

Article continues below this advertisement

The room is said to be heavily smoke-logged.

Paramedics from the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service are also in attendance.

UPDATE @ 00:30 – The fire has been successfully extinguished by firefighters using a hose reel and breathing apparatus.

UPDATE TUESDAY: Firefighters remained on the scene until around 01:45. Island Echo understand an electrical board was to blame for the alert.

This latest incident comes just hours after three appliances were sent to an electrical fire at a church hall in Freshwater.

Article continues below this advertisement

Photo: Adrian Whittaker.

Comment on this story

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets