Breaking News


tescofirelake2UPDATED: Firefighters from Sandown, Shanklin and Newport are this evening (Friday) tackling a generator fire at Tesco Express in Lake.

Three appliances from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are in attendance at the convenience store on Lake Hill, where a diesel generator has caught fire. Crews were alerted to the incident at 17:51.

Two hose reels are being used to tackle the fire with fire crews donning two breathing apparatus sets.

Article continues below this advertisement

The small Tesco store, which opened in September, gains its electricity supply from generators located outside of the building rather than off the electrical grid.

UPDATE @ 18:42 – Two appliances have now left the scene, with the third due to leave shortly. The fire has been extinguished.

The store has reopened.

Photograph thanks to Steve Bullick

Don’t forget to follow the Island’s news as it happens…

Article continues below this advertisement

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets