Three appliances from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service from Newport, Sandown and Shanklin, are currently attending to a reported fire at a flat in Regent Street.
Eye witnesses have reported to Island Echo that a door has been accessed at the side of the town’s pet store – Pets Paradise – leading to the property above.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus have entered the building and are tackling the blaze.
No one has been injured in the incident, which was reported to emergency services shortly after 00:35.
UPDATE SATURDAY: Fire crews left the scene at around 02:00 this morning. Food left unattended in a kitchen was to blame for the 999 alert.