Breaking News

CLOTHING SHOP EVACUATED FOLLOWING FIRE

bhsfireUPDATED: Customers and staff at BHS in Newport have been evacuated from the store this evening (Tuesday) after smoke began to fill the ground floor building.

Firefighters from Newport Fire Station are currently attending the scene and have entered the building wearing breathing apparatus. The shop has become heavily smoke-logged.

An Emergency Care Practitioner from the Isle of Wight Ambulance Service is attending to a staff member who is understood to be suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

Article continues below this advertisement

bhsfireairconditionerUPDATE @ 17:10 – Fire crews have used a hose reel to extinguish the small fire, which has been located in a portable air conditioning unit.

Work is now underway to rid the property of smoke, however it is unclear if any damage has been sustained to the store’s interior and stock.

UPDATE @ 17:25 – A second appliance from East Cowes Fire Station is now in attendance at the scene in the High Street and is assisting with ventilating the shop.

bhsfireeastcowes

Comment on this story

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets

/* ]]> */