The redevelopment of a historic clifftop holiday camp off the Military Road could mean it once again becomes a tourist destination.
Encore Leisure Propco has submitted a condition compliance application to discharge 2 requirements attached to a 2022 planning consent, as part of efforts to open Atherfield Bay Holiday Resort for business.
The applicant and owner of the site off Military Road previously said construction work was being undertaken at the camp so it can again become a tourist destination.
A letter to the council from Encore Leisure Propco’s agent, Axis, said:
“The extant ‘operative’ planning consent for this site is the most recent planning permission granted on September 30, 2022 ref: 21/01129/RVC.
“Redevelopment of the site was being advanced by Royale Parks (a subsidiary of the Royale Resorts Group). However, the company went into administration in 2023 before the development could be completed and open to patrons.
“The applicant acquired the site from the administrators in 2024. However, it has not been possible to lawfully operate the holiday park on the basis that conditions eight (Landscape Management Plan), 18 (External Lighting Details), 26 (Cliff Retreat and Chine Erosion) and 28 (Light Pollution Measures), imposed on the 2022 planning consent, have not been formally discharged.”
It adds that the applicant is actively seeking to discharge outstanding planning conditions attached to the 2022 consent and to regularise specific ‘minor as-built deviations’ from the approved plans, so the resort can be formally opened and operated.
Documents Encore Leisure Propco has lodged with the council include a Landscape Design, Maintenance Specification for Holiday Park Landscape, Western Bee Field Landscape Management Plan as well as a Cliff Retreat and Chine Erosion Baseline Survey.
The Isle of Wight Council’s public consultation on application 26/00147/DIS finishes on 5th March and a decision is due on 5th May.






















































































I remember reading last year it may have been
used to house migrants.
Obviously a change of plan, should be used
for holiday usage / tourism, what the island
desperately needs.
That was a bad joke set off by rumour mongers you “Numbty”and the sad fact is given five year it will be on the beach with 100%sea views my mum can remember going to big dances out there and the wonderful swimming facilities and about 1 mile extra coastline pointing outwards!.
I remember that too back in the 80s
Headline should read ”moves closer to the cliff edge”
Nothing will come of it also be bankrupt within 2/3 years..also what’s the story with those grey prison camp style mobile homes out milly built about 3/4 years ago then fenced off then nothing?