Southern Water project managers were ‘intransigent’ and had ‘made up their mind’ over the company’s Sandown Water Recycling plans during a meeting, an Isle of Wight councillor has claimed.
Planning committee and local ward member Councillor Debbie Andre told Sandown Town Council on Monday evening (26th January) she was yet to be convinced the proposals were the best option for the town.
The application includes the building of a Water Recycling Plant on land to the south of Sandown Wastewater Treatment Works, an outfall into the Eastern Yar and a pipeline from the facility to the Eastern Yar by Alverstone.
Significant opposition has rallied against the bid, from residents, campaigners and stakeholders such as the Solent Protection Society, Save Our South Coast Alliance, Wildheart Animal Sanctuary, Badger Trust Isle of Wight, Island Roads and Sandown Town Council.
However, a spokesperson for Southern Water said the Water Recycling Project is part of a series of schemes that will create ‘new drought-proof sources of water’, providing greater resilience for the Island.
Cllr Andre told Sandown Town Council:
“I asked for a meeting with the national project managers for Southern Water and I was given that meeting online.
“It was very clear…they were intransigent, they had made up their mind – this is the way that they were going to do it – they’re on a tight timeline.
“But it will come to planning committee because it involves Isle of Wight Council land…I won’t be sitting on the committee because I will be speaking as the ward member.”
She said the area Southern Water wants could affect the International School of Rewilding, a proposal for a 140-hectare site with elk-rewilded wetlands and visitor facilities next to Sandown and added she was yet to be convinced the project was the best option for the area.
The Alliance group county councillor previously objected to Southern Water’s application.
Her criticisms included a lack of meaningful consultation with residents and collaboration with neighbouring businesses and the proposed plant design adversely affecting the immediate area and surrounding green space.
Sandown South town councillor Paddy Lightfoot said the process Southern Water is looking to use is not being operated in the UK and claimed it was “completely untried and untested”.
Southern Water in turn claimed water recycling is a “proven and safe” process which is “widely used around the world”.
Their spokesperson said:
“The Isle of Wight Water Recycling Project is part of a series of schemes that will create new drought-proof sources of water.
“These new sources will help protect Hampshire’s chalk streams, maintain supplies for our customers and provide greater resilience for the Island.
“The project will make the Isle of Wight more self-sufficient in its water supply and reduce reliance on the River Test on the mainland.”






















































































Let’s see, Elk or a better water supply mmm!!!
Southern Water is a disgrace & should be back in the hands of the Government it’s a national scandal !
So should the Ferry Companies
Have Southern Water even thought about using the many, now unused reservoirs around the IOW?
Oh you must have a look at the Summer Special of the Vicar of Dibley and where the local Water Board has the idea of flooding the valley. Nothing’s changed.