Crews from Ryde and Newport were called to Hill Street in Ryde after a property was struck by lightning, causing minor structural damage. Electricity supplies were isolated before the Newport crew were reassigned to an incident in Freshwater.
Firefighters were also sent to the Co-Operative store in Anglesea Street after it also reported being struck by lightning.
Meanwhile, pumping appliance 3 from Ryde attended Olivo’s in Union Street before being diverted to High Park Road alongside firefighters from East Cowes. It was discovered a chimney stack collapsed on a residential property. Reports were also received of fire alarms sounding in a block of flats next door.
Several properties across the Ryde area were momentarily stuck by lightning causing automatic fire alarm systems to sound.
Thankfully, there are no reports of any injuries or fires.
Phones lines are currently down at Ryde Community Clinic (Ryde Outpatients) meaning calls cannot be made or received.
Do you follow Island Echo on Facebook?
Get access to exclusive news, photos, videos and merchandise by becoming a supporter through Facebook Subscriptions! Find out more at https://www.facebook.com/becomesupporter/309220432954/