An IT blunder has revealed that the Government is set to give Hampshire’s new mayoral authority £1.3billion over the next 30 years.
The detail of the potential investment for devolution has come about after a Southampton City Council IT error saw the authority publish the figure online on a test website, which is normally used to trial material before it goes live.
A draft press release, which was awaiting Government sign-off, was made public during website maintenance.
The document suggests that the region has been, in principle, awarded the Hampshire and the Solent Mayoral Combined County Authority funding worth £44.6million a year for 30 years, totalling £1.3billion as part of a proposed devolution deal.
It’s understood that the £44.6million a year funding comes from a letter to council leaders on 5th September from local government minister Jim McMahon outlining the settlement.
In the draft release published online, city council leader Alex Winning said:
“This is a game-changing opportunity for Hampshire and the Solent. With this investment, we can unlock new growth, create jobs, and build a brighter future for everyone in our region.
“This funding recognises the immense potential of our communities and puts the power to shape our local future firmly in our own hands.”
Hampshire County Council leader Nick Adams-King is quoted as saying:
“This investment is a vote of confidence in the power of local leadership and giving communities the power to shape their own future.
“It’s about building prosperity from the ground up, with local voices leading the way.”
It is understood the 4 upper-tier authorities involved – Southampton, Hampshire, Portsmouth, and the Isle of Wight – are still waiting for confirmation of funding from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.
At a Hampshire County Council cabinet meeting on Thursday (30th October), officers told councillors that the settlement remained under embargo and there was no indication of when it would be made public.
Council leader Nick Adams-King said:
“We can’t talk because of the embargo from the government about exactly what the package looks like, but this will bring hundreds of millions of pounds of investment in the infrastructure of Hampshire and the Solent to our area.”
The government’s so-called ‘devolution revolution’ aims to hand more decision-making powers from Westminster to local authorities through a series of new mayoral combined authorities.
Under the plans, the Hampshire and the Solent Strategic Authority would be created, led by a directly elected mayor from May 2026.
The new body would oversee regional transport, housing, skills and economic development – taking on powers previously held by Whitehall departments.
Southampton City Council confirmed the information should not have been published and has now been taken offline.






















































































*Hampshire and the Solent Strategic Authority*
Isle of Wight not even in the fancy new title. It doesn’t take a crystal ball to see how the funding will be allocated.
So “they” name the county of Hampshire but do not name the county of “The Isle of Wight”.
Make note.
The “Solent” is a stretch of water to the north of The Isle of Wight.
Southampton City Council Leader says “This is a game-changing opportunity for Hampshire and the Solent. With this investment, we can unlock new growth, create jobs, and build a brighter future for everyone in our region.”
Councils do not engender growth nor jobs. SMEs do that.
All “Councils” do is waste money on vanity projects.
Gawd ‘elp us if Jordan gets his mitts on any of this money. It will all be spent on Turdtown (or Ryde as it is commonly known).
Even worse if it “trickles down” to the likes of Brading, Shalfleet and Ventnor.
Why fix something that isn’t broken more staff more wages more gold plated pension’s is there no end to the foolishness
Build a Bridge or Tunnel.