UPDATED: FROM BAD TO WORSE – LAKE KEBAB HOUSE TAKEAWAY GIVEN A 0-STAR RATING

Lake Kebab & Pizza House has been given the worst possible food hygiene rating by the Isle of Wight Council.

Environmental health inspectors carried out a vital inspection of the premises on Sandown Road at the end of February, with the outcome published today (Saturday). They were so shocked by what they found that they’ve awarded the takeaway a 0 rating.

Major improvement is said to be needed across hygienic food handling, management of food safety and the cleanliness/condition of the building and facilities. This relates to food preparation, cooking and storage alongside hand washing facilities, pest control and ensuring that food is safe to eat.

Article continues below this advertisement

The kebab house was previously inspected in June 2019 and awarded just 1 star out of a possible 5. The premises was re-inspected later in the year and achieved a more acceptable 2-star rating. Now, 16 months later, things have deteriorated again to meet the threshold of a 0 out of 5 star rating.

Back in 2017 the kebab house boasted a ‘Good’ 4-star rating, but standards have slipped and now major improvement is needed across the board.

The owners can appeal the rating and/or request a re-inspection. Previously, the owner issued reassurance to customers that all practices and food hygiene is paramount to his business.

UPDATE SUNDAY – A representative for Lake Kebab House has responded to yesterday’s news, stating that the inspection was carried out outside of working hours but when preparation of food was taking place. It’s said that this time of the day results in more mess and litter than usual.

A number of photographs have been provided to illustrate the current conditions of the business. It’s said that the owner has taken drastic measures to improve standards and is looking forward to trading in the future.

Article continues below this advertisement

UPDATE JUNE 2021 – The establishment has now been awarded 4 stars by the Isle of Wight Council.

 

Article continues below this advertisement

The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
26 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
IOWter
IOWter
2 months ago

Ban the owners from working with food, absolutely vile.

Benny
Benny
2 months ago

Just close these places down taking away their licenses

ron ashton
ron ashton
2 months ago

Nothing better than a nice juicy maggot in my kebab

Tony tollbridge
Tony tollbridge
2 months ago

I recommend the Ratatouille with the as a side dish

Davimel
Davimel
2 months ago

There is a clear pattern of standards slipping over a 5 year period, but there was no inspection in 2018 or 2020 so surely our Health Inspectors have failed to ensure the food safety standards just as much as the owners! With ALL low scoring establishments there must surely be an increase in Inspection rates to ensure the safety of we who will inevitably suffer at the hands of these unsanitary shop owners.

Arthur Sausage
Arthur Sausage
2 months ago

No mention of shutting the place down surely with zero should be closed immediately for public safety.

The owners can appeal the rating and/or request a re-inspection what’s that about, failed & shut down permanently!

Fedup
Fedup
2 months ago

Question to the Isle of Wight Council.
If this place is as bad as you say it is how come it has taken you over a month to advise the general public?
And, no, covid is not an excuse.

ron ashton
ron ashton
Reply to  Fedup
2 months ago

It has taken them over a month as it has to go through 10 secondary meetings
then through to the full council for 10 reviews so they can up their attendance money

King Kong
King Kong
2 months ago

The bottom of my shoe would score a 2 …the place has always been a death trap

John Smith
John Smith
2 months ago

If the council are really that concerned then they should be preventing them from opening until it is sorted. And then do a surprise visit every 6 weeks or so until they are confident that it will maintain its rating.

Sunshine
Sunshine
2 months ago

Why has this establishment not been closed down? Obviously the people who own/run this dump have 0% understanding of food hygiene and
cleanliness. This would be shutdown on the mainland until all problems had been rectified.

Oldbutalive
Oldbutalive
2 months ago

I would have thought with a 0 rating, it would be a public health hazard and therefore should have been closed until everything is put right.
Why not is the question the Council should be answering.

Miss sensible
Miss sensible
2 months ago

What ????? 1star moved to a more acceptable 2star!!!!
Surely anywhere that is selling food to the public should be 100/pc clean hygienic and staff the same !!!!!
Shame on the owners and staff .

Fred
Fred
2 months ago

Foods good though, 90% of the public’s kitchens and fridges and food prep would also make a O rating under the way it’s done. Subway in Newport was forced to close by the council yet when it re-opened all the same. Question is how many people got unwell ?, Lots do from posh restaurants who get 5 star. No one is forced to go there anyhow, it’s choice

Miss sensible
Miss sensible
Reply to  Fred
2 months ago

When I worked in catering the fridges were cleaned daily all surfaces scrubbed constantly and deep fat fryers cleaned very frequently ie busy day cleaned.
At end of shift all surfaces scrubbed down again sink sterilised floors washed .
Start of shift clean surfaces before preparation.
You cannot be to careful with customer health.
What has happened with hygiene habits?

Richard collins
Richard collins
2 months ago

70’s food at it’s best. 😀

Lee
Lee
2 months ago

I have noticed some establishments do not even display their ratings on their premises.

Mop bucket
Mop bucket
Reply to  Lee
2 months ago

They are only encouraged to do so, it’s not a mandatory. No rating displayed, go elsewhere.

Helen
Helen
2 months ago

It needs to be closed and people not allowed to work with food again. Shameful.

Mop bucket
Mop bucket
2 months ago

0, zero, is very punitive. You would have thought there was a list of ill people and the place shut down. Are the council working with the owner, or just, slapping a zero on them? It just worries me a little that they may not be working fully with the owners as they are required, and may well do elsewhere.

Concerned
Concerned
2 months ago

Why has this place not been shut down? It is clearly not a fit place to provide food for human consumption. Or are the Council afraid of being called racist?

Dave
Dave
2 months ago

So there was a reason the place was so bad, they were in the middle of cleaning
Always thought it was good practice to clean up at the end of each working day.

Arthur
Arthur
2 months ago

Truly shocking.
Such a shameful score may also be due to personal hygine along with a faliure to keep haccp records. Inappropriate food storage including temperatures and expiration dates along with mishandling would have had something that would have been taken into account too.
A zero rating cannot be defended with pictures showing a deep clean from after a visit.
The inspections are to protect the public so since when did that mean that an establishment with the worst score possible be considered safe enough to keep operating at a sub par level and not be forced to close for public safety?

Miss sensible
Miss sensible
2 months ago

Clean as you go that should be the way to maintain hygiene.
Still wouldn’t go here .
No excuse for this whatsoever .
0 rating is still 0 .

Ryde Reader
Ryde Reader
2 months ago

Agree, the place should have been shut down by inspectors, surely they have that power? But why hasn’t this place shut down anyway due to having no customers…….. suggests that people are happy to to buy from them. Unbelievable if they do!!

Football Betting Site Betway
 

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets