A senior Isle of Wight Council officer has said the local authority is “going out to the market to find out the art of the possible” in respect of the Cowes Floating Bridge replacement project.
Marine technical advisor Houlder has been appointed to help test the market regarding a new East Cowes-Cowes vessel, Michelle Love told the economy, regeneration, transport and infrastructure committee (ERTIC) yesterday evening (Thursday).
It comes after County Hall decided to push ahead with a plan to find a new ferry in October last year.
Ms Love said:
“We brought a report to the committee on October 16, 2025 and from that is a new recommendation for further work to be carried out to assess the market interest around the supply of a new vessel via a working party open to committee members, officers and local qualified stakeholders to act as a Floating Bridge project board.
“The working group is now well established with members of the Isle of Wight Council and representatives from East Cowes town council and Cowes town council, plus captain John Kidd as the harbourmaster representative.
“We meet at least monthly to review the progress as well as the objectives for the future of the Floating Bridge.”
She said a contract had been awarded to Houlder to carry out market testing on County Hall’s behalf, an exercise open until 31st March.
There have been multiple responses to the testing and there will be a lot for the working group to look at when it next meets on 18th April, Ms Love added.
Committee members also heard a sum of money, which is not ringfenced and subject to how the council must react if it goes into exceptional financial circumstances, is earmarked for a potential new vessel.
Liberal Democrat councillor Nick Stuart, who chairs the working group, thanked the group and said:
“It’s worked extremely effectively, certainly the meeting we had in East Cowes was quite lively and I think its moved forward.
“I think this is clearly an appropriate way of trying to deal with the issue we face of a Floating Bridge which doesn’t really do what we would like it to do – I think that’s polite.”
Councillor David Adams, who represents Nettlestone and Seaview as an independent, said:
“I think we need a viability study into the remaining life of the existing vessel. That’s very important we know that before we spend any money.
“It’s not the same vessel and I appreciate the people in Cowes have had lots of problems…I believe we have resolved many of those already.”
ERTIC Alliance chair Julie Jones-Evans highlighted the financial aspect of the existing vessel, which she said was outside of the norm, in a negative way.
Empowering Islanders leader Councillor Chris Jarman said the Floating Bridge is currently subsidised by around £2,000 per day, which Ms Love confirmed.
Cllr Jones-Evans continued:
“We are mid-process right now so I wouldn’t be welcoming any other committee decisions right now off the hoof to divert what we’re doing…we need to follow through where we are.”
Councillor Ed Blake, leader of the Conservative group, said:
“That vessel is not the same vessel that it was. Its problems it has got now are entirely environmental in terms of the timings…that would be faced by any vessel – the maintenance costs, the maintenance schedule.
“What I am particularly sick of hearing…are the derisory comments towards our Floating Bridge. That Floating Bridge is running at 100 per cent. Please get out and use it. I hope it’s in situ for many years to come…hopefully when we control the council next year, we’ll be chucking this out.”





















































































The Council should ask Wight Ship Builders first and see if they can build the new Chuggy !!
Sad to see party politics interfering with common sense again. The bridge now operates very well thanks to the diligence of the team behind it but will always be limited by its original incorrect design, poor build quality and the changed dynamics of the river. If a replacement is to be procured then local knowledge, skills and understanding will be the quay to achieving a good result. Ignore these vital elements at your peril.
Councillor Ed Blake, leader of the Conservative group, said:
“hopefully when we control the council next year, we’ll be chucking this out.”
Coming from someone in the same Party which gave us Theresa the Appeaser, Liz Truss, Fishy Rishi and worst of all Boris Piffle Johnson, I think that is a bit optimistic.
Especially when the same person had indicated that he was undecided whether to stand for election in the “ISLE of Wight voters prepare” story in this very news organ earlier today.
I’ve said this before, why not a “flying” bridge.( Google transporter bridge).
No tides to worry about, and a viewing platform included.
Surly it should be the art of the impossible and buy one that is reliable
Is this another case ,of wasting money, the council are good at wasting money
In the long run a flyover would be much cheaper.
A new ferry or not a new ferry,who will decide, one thing that is patently obvious based on years of obvervation is the council are not he ones to make that decision, they lack the knowledge,ability, or vision for any project other than judging cake contests at the village fete.
Please put things simply “art of the possible” sounds like an album by a prog rock band
Can we have more detail about the statement that it is subsidised by £2000 a day.
Can they take it out of service for a couple of weeks and save £28,000.
Why is more money being spent on this piece of trash, has nothing been learned ??
More bullshit words more money wasted on consultation..won’t be built for years to come..pop back in 10 years see whats happened.