Breaking News


boilerexplosionpanA boiler is understood to have exploded in a property on Pan Meadows tonight (Friday), flooding a young family’s home just three weeks before Christmas.

Two appliances from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service responded to the new build terraced property on the estate shortly before 22:15, where fire crews from Newport were met with hot water running through the ground floor of the house.

imageLocals have told Island Echo that some of the boilers are already displaying a service light, despite the properties having only been built recently. Others living just doors away from the affected property say they don’t trust their boilers and the boilers have been “running hot” for a few days.

Article continues below this advertisement

Thankfully, the occupying family – a couple with several children – have escaped injury although the property has been damaged by the water and the steam.

One appliance from Newport Fire Station has now left the scene at Pennycress Drive, whilst the second awaits for the arrival of Spectrum Housing.

In total 4 inches of water has been cleared by the building.

Do you follow Island Echo on Facebook?
Get access to exclusive news, photos, videos and merchandise by becoming a supporter through Facebook Subscriptions! Find out more at

Article continues below this advertisement

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets