67-year-old Andrew Davis died despite the best efforts of emergency services after his flat caught fire at Tredegar House in Wood Street. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus sets entered the building, forced entry into the flat and rescued Mr Davis, however sadly he succumbed to his injuries.
It has been confirmed he died from smoke inhalation and external burns.
As first reported by Island Echo, fire crews from the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene at 13:10 in the afternoon after receiving reports of a property fire with persons reported to still be inside. Four appliances attended the incident alongside the Incident Command Unit.
An investigation led by Hampshire Constabulary and the fire service is still ongoing, however there have been no arrests made in relation to the death.
The inquest has been adjourned until 30th June 2015.
• Don’t forget to Like us on Facebook to keep notified of the latest Isle of Wight news as it happens…