Lights of Love events will be held across the Island between 2nd-14th December, in venues including pubs and churches, with a special service organised by the Hospice being held at Newport Minster on 2nd December. The service will include music and readings, and the chance along with friends and family to remember someone who has died.
The Hospice will also host trees adorned by lights, each of which commemorate a life. The trees will shine out as a memorial to the thousands of people who are loved and missed by their families and friends. As a donation is made for each individual light, the event also helps raise money to ensure the Hospice can continue developing its services to Island residents with life-limiting conditions.
Jo Blackburn, Chief Executive at Earl Mountbatten Hospice said:
“The death of someone we love is one of the hardest things we have to face, especially at Christmas. Lights of Love is an opportunity to remember and celebrate the life of a loved one and also help the Hospice to continue providing the very best care to Island people who need it.
“When you sponsor a light, the name of your special person will be entered into our Book of Remembrance. You will also receive a candle-shaped-tree decoration on which you can write a special message which you can either keep or return to the Hospice, where it will hang it on one of our commemorative trees over the Christmas period.”
The Book of Remembrance will be on display at the Newport Minster service on 2 December and at the Hospice until 14th December.
Lights of Love services are taking place on the following dates/locations:
- Tuesday 2 December, 19:00, Newport Minster, Newport.
- Wednesday 3 December, 19:00, St Catherine’s Church, Ventnor.
- Thursday 4 December, 18:00, The Pointer Inn, Newchurch.
- Thursday 4 December, 19:00, The Cedars, Wootton.
- Friday 5 December, 19:00, Christ Church, Sandown.
- Friday 5 December, 19:00, St Peter’s Church, Seaview.
- Sunday 7 December, 17:30, St Mary’s Church, Brading.
- Sunday 7 December, 18:30, All Saints’ Church, Ryde.
- Sunday 7 December, 19:00, The Vine Inn, St Helens.
- Monday 8 December, 18:30, Rookley Green, Rookley.
- Wednesday 10 December, 19:00, St Mary’s Church, Brighstone.
- Thursday 11 December, 18:00, The White Lion Pub, Arreton.
- Thursday 11 December, 18:30, Cowes Methodist Church.
- Friday 12 December, 18:00, The Crematorium, Newport.
- Friday 12 December, 19:00, United Reform Church, Shanklin.
- Saturday 13 December, Midday, Lake High Street (around the tree).
- Saturday 13 December, 17:00, Lane End Court, Bembridge (parade to church).
- Saturday 13 December, 18:00, The Square, Yarmouth.
- Sunday 14 December, 18:00, St Agnes Church, Freshwater.
To find out more, or to make a donation for a Light of Love or register for a service visit www.iwhospice.org.
Don’t forget to follow the Island’s news as it happens…