• Check the security of sheds and garages to ensure that it is effective
• Don’t leave doors and windows unlocked or open in unattended parts of the house
• Do not leave tools and ladders out, ensure they are locked away
• When buying new tools ensure they are marked and registered (marking can in some cases simply include a random dot of coloured nail polish in an odd place)
• Check your belongings to see if you can identify any unique etched code – if so sign up to immobilise at www.immobilise.com a national property register, this is free to sign up.
This is not something that occurs regularly on the Island, however, home security is a good thing to be aware of. More information can be found at
Remember: a lot of insurance companies will not pay out if the incident was a result of an insecurity.
Featured photograph: Petr Kratochvil