A rare and unique opportunity has arisen to work in the world of news for the award-winning Island Echo as an Apprentice Business Administrator (Level 3).
Despite being an incredibly small team, Island Echo is arguably the leading news source on the Isle of Wight and produces more than 400 articles a month to a readership of up to 474,000.
The company has grown significantly over the past 8 years to become a market leader and the time has now come to expand the team to take the business to the next level.
In October 2019, Island Echo was named the IW Chamber Micro Business of the Year and in June 2020 was highly commended for the national ICNN Community Website of the Year in the newsawards 2020.
The successful candidate will follow a Level 3 Business Administrator Apprenticeship framework offered through HTP Apprenticeship College. There is a requirement to complete 20% off the job training, this includes time spent either learning something new, other courses or any support work that is not in your usual role.
The position is for 30 hours a week, paid weekly at £5.00 per hour (above the national minimum apprenticeship wage). Our office is located in Ryde.
Although this position does not seek to employ a journalist, there will be the opportunity to learn more about the industry and contribute to the news output through the use of social media, as well as supporting the Editor with the day-to-day running of the business. There will also be opportunity to get out of the office and attend news stories across the Isle of Wight.
Applications are open to those aged 16+. Own transport is not required as bus stops are situated nearby (Route 2).
Apprentice Role and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Liaise with new and existing clients and other organisations to build relationships and expand the services provided to them by the company
- Financial administration including raising, delivering and following up on invoices
- Use new and existing social media channels to promote the company, it’s stories and specific projects
- Answer inbound telephone calls and action independently
- Contact businesses and readers to collate information to support news output as directed by the Editor
- Use content management systems and other software for the day-to-day operations of the company
- Analyse data obtained through FOI requests and other means to produce user-friendly information for operational purposes
- Carry out general office duties such as printing, word processing, filing and ensuring the office is tidy and welcoming
- Undertake any other duties reasonably directed by the Editor, including attending local events such as business lunches and photo calls
- Be a proactive member of the team, developing and promoting ideas of ways to improve the operation of the company
- Good to excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good IT skills
- Ability to work to a deadline and under pressure at times
- Ability to prioritise and organise workload
- Ability to think independently
- Professional but friendly and personable nature
- Reliable, trustworthy and punctual
- Smart appearance
- Enthusiasm for media/news/digital business
- Able to use appropriate language at all times
- Motivated to learn and develop professionally
- Confident in own ability
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English & Maths (or equivalent qualification).
- Flexibility on working hours to suit individual requirements. Home working on occasions.
- Opportunity to attend events free of charge.
- Guaranteed time off on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and all other Bank Holidays.
For more information about this role or the company, email [email protected].
To apply for this job, visit https://www.htp.ac.uk/job/business-administration-apprenticeship-ryde-isle-of-wight/ and press the ‘enquire now’ button.
Upon successful completion of the 15-18 month apprenticeship, there may be an opportunity to progress to a permanent role within the business depending on performance and job availability.