The data spans just under a year, from 10th April 2020 to 31st March 2021, covering all 3 lockdowns and the height of the pandemic in January this year when cases and deaths rocketed.
During that time period, 129 deaths were notified involving COVID-19.
It shows the highest number of deaths involving COVID happened in the final quarter of the timeframe, between January and March, with 88 across 18 individual CQC-registered care homes.
In the middle part of the year, over quarters 2 and 3, only 3 deaths happened, at Kinloch Tay Residential Care Home, Sandown Nursing Home and Cherry Blossom Care Home.
The data comes from death notices submitted by the care providers, so does not show where COVID was contracted by the person, or that they may have died elsewhere — but as it was a patient in their care home a notice had to be submitted.
The most death notices received from a single care home was The Briars, in Sandown. where 15 people died with COVID-19, from April to March 2021 — with 11 happening in quarter 4 alone.
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has released the information having waited until it was less likely to have a serious impact of continuity of care, had someone used the information to make decisions that inadvertently put people at wider risk.
It says the impact of the pandemic on people who draw on and work in adult social care services has been devastating and despite the best efforts of staff, COVID-19 has contributed to a significant increase in the number of deaths in nursing and residential care settings.
Care Home Deaths on the Isle of Wight – April 2020 – March 2021
- Northbrook House – 10
- Tile House – 5
- Westview House – 7
- Springfield Nursing Home – 4
- The Elms Nursing Home – 7
- Solent Grange Nursing Home – 6
- Old Charlton House Residential House – 6
- Inglefield Nursing and Residential Home – 2
- Cornelia Manor RCH – 3
- Firbank Residential Care Home – 1
- The Briars – 15
- Woodside Hall Nursing Home – 8
- Seven Gables – 2
- Orchard House Community Centre – 3
- Vecta House – 10
- Kinloch Tay Residential Care Home – 1
- Bluebell House Residential Care Home – 1
- Ward House Nursing Home – 4
- Cherry Blossom Care Home – 5
- Blackwater Mill Residential Home – 9
- Byrnhill Grove Registered Care Home – 2
- Cherry Tree Care Home – 2
- Autumn House Residential Home – 2
- Inver House – 6
- Sandown Nursing Home – 5
- St Vincent’s Retirement Home – 2