Pride of place went to the Ladies Coastal Junior Four of Courtney Edmonds, Emily Pike, Catherine Murphy and Kate Whitehurst – with Dale Buckett coxing – who comfortably won both their heat and the final to take their sixth win of the season and close in of the Hants & Dorset ARA Championship in this event.
The Ladies’ coxswain, Dale Buckett had a particularly good day as he then competed in the Men’s Coastal Junior Sculling event knocking out his main rival and Championship Leader by winning his heat and going on to secure his third win of the season, with his win in the final to draw level in the chase for the H&D Championship.
Courtney Edmonds also competed in a Single Scull for the club for the first time racing in the Women’s Coastal Sculling event, although still a novice sculler. She did exceptionally well, winning her heat and finishing second in the all Isle of Wight final – which is probably a first.
There was a welcome return to competition for the Men’s Coastal Junior Four crews of Dom Douglas, Ben Toms, Jacob Redstone, Joel Smith – with Dan Sanderson coxing – following an absence since the Isle of Wight Regatta weekend due to exams. The crew acquitted themselves well to finish second in their heat, just failing to make the final.
The Men’s Novice Four of Tom Starkey, Ben Sanderson, Tye Cameron and Josh Lee – with Dan Sanderson coxing once again – unfortunately meet the eventual winners from Newport in the heat where they finished second, again just missing out on a place in the final.
Summary of crews and results
• Men’s Coastal Junior Four: D. Douglas, B. Toms, J. Redstone, J. Smith (Str), D. Danderson (Cox) – second in heat but failed to make final
• Men’s Novice Four: T. Starkey, B. Sanderson, T. Cameron, J. Lee (Str), D. Sanderson – second in heat but failed to make final
• Ladies Coastal Junior Four: C. Edmonds, E. Pike, C. Murphy, K. Whitehurst (Str). D. Buckett (Cox) – won heat and final
• Men’s Coastal Junior Scull: D. Buckett – won heat and final
• Women’s Coastal Junior Scull: C. Edmonds – won heat, second in final