Squalls and heavy rain showers made for challenging conditions for the crews and scullers from the Wightlink-sponsored Ryde Rowing Club who competed at the BTC Rowing Club’s Annual regatta held at Western Shore, Woolston on Saturday.
The Coastal Junior Ladies crew – who have already been crowned Hants & Dorset ARA Champions and selected to represent the Association at the South Coast Championships in September – continued their dominance of this event. The crew of Catherine and Lisa Murphy, Kate Whitehurst and Courtney Edmonds – with coach Micky Jenner coxing – took their eighth win of the season. With the championship done and dusted all 4 then competed in the Coastal Junior Pairs event with Kate and Courtney finishing 3rd and Catherine and Lisa finishing in 4th place in the Final. Courtney then competed in her first Ladies Novice Sculls event – producing a stunning performance – to win the final convincingly.
The club’s Boys J16 Four of Josh Lee, Tye Cameron, Austin Smith and Ben Sanderson – with Dan Sanderson coxing – then competed in the Men’s Novice Fours event and produced an outstanding performance to finish 2nd in the Final. They then had to come ashore, where Josh Lee was replaced by Freya Drage, and, because of a scheduling error by the regatta committee, had to immediately take to the water again to race in the J16 event. It’s in this event where they once again produced an exceptional performance finishing just half a length behind the winning J16 Boys crew to take the J16 Mixed Fours title.
The Men’s Coastal Junior Four of Joel Smith, Dom Douglas, Ben Toms and Jacob Redstone – with Dan coxing once again – qualified reasonably easily for their final where they suffered an equipment failure and finished well down the field. Dom and Joel then competed in the Men’s Coastal Junior Pairs event where they finished in 4th place in their final, with Joel then completing in the Men’s Novice Sculls where he comfortably qualified for the final. His busy racing schedule finally took its toll and he finished in 6th place.
It proved to be a frustrating day for Men’s Coastal Junior Sculler Dale Buckett as he tried to secure another point in his event to take a lead in this Championship. Having easily qualified for the final he had the bad luck to get an inside draw in the final, where the shallow water in the fast dropping tide as the end of the regatta drew near may have cost him victory as he eventually finished in 2nd place.
Dale then competed with Courtney Edmonds, Kate Whitehurst and James Smith – with Micky Jenner coxing – in the final event of the day, the Mixed Fours, where they finished in 2nd place.
Summary of Results
• Men’s Coastal Junior Four: J. (Joel) Smith, D. Douglad, B. Toms J. Redstone. D. Sanderson (Cox) – Qualified for Final. Finished 6th
• Women’s Coastal Junior Four: L. Murphy, C. Murphy, C. Edmonds, K. Whitehurst. M. Jenner (Cox) – First in Final
• Men’s Novice Four: J. Lee, T. Cameron, A. Smith, B. Sanderson, D. Sanderson (Cox) – Qualified for Final. Finished 2nd
• Mixed J16 Four: F. Drage, Lee, T. Cameron, A. Smith, B. Sanderson, D. Sanderson (Cox) – 2nd in Event. Won Mixed J16 Section
• Mixed Four: D. Buckett, C. Edmonds, K. Whitehurst, J. Smith. M. Jenner (Cox) – 2nd in Final
• Men’s Coastal Junior Pair: J. (Joel) Smith, D. Douglas – 4th in Final
• Ladies Coastal Junior Pair ‘A’ Crew: C. Edmonds, K. Whitehurst – 3rd in Final
• Ladies Coastal Junior Pair ‘B’ Crew: C. Murphy, L. Murphy – 4th in Final
• Men’s Coastal Junior Sculls: Qualified for Final. Finished 2nd
• Men’s Novice Sculls: J. (Joel) Smith – Qualified for Final. Finished 6th
• Ladies Novice Sculls: C. Edmonds – First in Final