To celebrate the end of the Lift the Lid on Island Culture project, Quay Arts will be holding ‘The Great Leap Day’ event from 10:00 to 14:00 on Saturday 29th February; a day of free workshops, performances and fun for all ages, with a social media buzz.
The Great Leap Day will feature performances from the Isle of Wight College Performing Arts students, workshops with Lift the Lid artists (for all ages), an illustrated talk and discussion about ‘Notable Newport’ from Independent Arts (for 11+ year olds) and a creative drop-in workshop with the New Carnival Company.
Lift the Lid artist, Ian Whitmore, will be exploring places, people and objects that inspire us all, whether you are a Caulkhead, an Overner, a Grockel or a DFL (Down from London), stating “This is IW Culture” and asking “Is this IW Culture?” through interactive mapping, drawing and writing.
Storyteller, Sue Bailey from ‘But that’s another story’, will be working with children to sculpt clay models of the Ventnor Giant and encouraging stories to be created.
An exclusive film by Sassy Productions IoW will been shown, featuring children from Oakfield Primary School and young people from the Isle of Wight College discussing what inspires them to be creative on the Isle of Wight.
Local young people are being asked to join in online through their social media channels using #LetsCreateIW and a social media plan is available for community group leaders. This event is completely FREE and no need to book – just turn up and get involved at Quay Arts & Online!
The aim of the whole project was to explore what Cultural Heritage looks like on the Isle of Wight and to celebrate the 4 Lift the Lid public art commissions which were created in 2018 & 2019: Phlegm’s Ventnor Giant mural, Dmitri Galitzine’s film about East Cowes ‘Back and Forth’, Julie Myers’ ‘The Great Light and Dark Show’ in Totland and BearFace Theatre’s community piece ‘We that breathe…’.
It is also a chance for everyone to explore children and young people’s vision of the Island’s future through The Great Leap Forward exhibition in the West Gallery with artists Ian
Whitmore and Chris Jenkins, collaborating with 6 Island schools: Queensgate Foundation Primary, Nine Acres Primary, St Saviour’s Primary, Barton Primary, St Catherine’s School and the Island Free School.
The Great Leap Day Programme:
• 09:30 – Quay Arts Volunteer Breakfast Meeting & Gallery Tour – West Gallery
• 10:00-17:00 – See the finale schools exhibition ‘The Great Leap Forward’ – West Gallery
• 10:00-11:00 – Ventnor Giant stories and clay model making with Sue Bailey – Seminar Room (all ages)
• 10:00-11:00 – #LetsCreateIW workshop with Ian Whitmore – Clayden Gallery (all ages)
• 11:00 – Performance from students at Isle of Wight College – West Gallery
• 11:30-12:30 – ’Notable Newport’ illustrated talk and discussion with Independent Arts – Seminar Room (ages 11+)
• 11:30-12:30 – #LetsCreateIW workshop with Ian Whitmore – Clayden Gallery (all ages)
• 12:30 – Performance from Sue Bailey, Tales of the Ventnor Giant – West Gallery
• 13:00-14:00 – Creative workshop with the New Carnival Company – Seminar Room (all ages)
• 13:00-14:00 – #LetsCreateIW workshop with Ian Whitmore – Clayden Gallery (all ages)