As first reported by Island Echo, the future of Central in Ventnor was looking uncertain towards the end of last month when rumours started to build that the store was to close on 4th October.
Efforts to contact the parent company, Bestway, proved fruitless but the rumours were indeed proven this afternoon when at 13:00 the tills were shut and the lights switched off.
It is thought 3 members of staff have been offered employment at alternative stores.
No explanation has been offered up by the company, but it is thought the closure relates to the lease of the building.
The future of Central in Upper Ventnor is unknown but the store was open at 17:00 this afternoon.
Timeline of Central on the Isle of Wight
- December 2016 – Central Convenience buys Hunnyhill Group (Spar stores) [link]
- December 2017 – Bargain Booze buys Central Convenience, which becomes part of Convenality [link]
- March 2018 – Convenality announce they plan to enter administration [link]
- April 2018 – Stores across the country are saved after being bought by Bestway [link]
- September 2018 – Bestway reducing store and staffing numbers
- October 2018 – Closure of Central store in the heart of Ventnor
• Don’t forget to Like us on Facebook to keep notified of the latest Isle of Wight news as it happens…