Shoppers at Central Convenience in the heart of Ventnor may soon find the doors firmly shut amid unconfirmed reports that the store could be closing for good.
According to Island Echo sources, the former Spar store on Victoria Street is facing closure, potentially as soon as 4th October – next Thursday.
The reason for the potential closure is thought to be related to the lease of the property. It is noted that the size of the store has reduced since the transformation from Spar to Central following a buy-out in 2016.
Island Echo has been unable to obtain confirmation from the group’s owners, Bestway, who were approached on Monday.
It is thought staff have been offered 16 hour contracts at a nearby store in Wroxall.
Timeline of Central on the Isle of Wight
- December 2016 – Central Convenience buys Hunnyhill Group (Spar stores) [link]
- December 2017 – Bargain Booze buys Central Convenience, which becomes part of Convenality [link]
- March 2018 – Convenality announce they plan to enter administration [link]
- April 2018 – Stores across the country are saved after being bought by Bestway [link]
- September 2018 – Bestway reducing store and staffing numbers