Breaking News First photos First reported by Island Echo

PROPERTY FIRE AT GEORGE STREET IN RYDE

UPDATED: The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are tackling a property fire in Ryde this morning (Tuesday).

2 appliances from Ryde are currently on scene in the upper half of George Street, where 2 breathing apparatus wearers have been committed to a block of flats.

Article continues below this advertisement

The occupiers have evacuated to the safety of the street.

The alarm was raised at around 05:00.

UPDATE @ 05:18 – Another 2 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus have now entered the property following the initial efforts of the first crew. A hose reel is being used with a safety jet standing by.

George Street has been closed in both directions. As a result, Southern Vectis buses may be delayed or diverted.

Police have been called to the scene.

UPDATE @ 05:25 – Firefighters have worked quickly to extinguish the fire and bring the incident under control.

BA crews have now withdrawn but Positive Pressure Ventilation is still being used to rid the multi-storey building of smoke.

It has been confirmed that all persons have been accounted for.

UPDATE @ 06:00Island Echo understands that a candle inside one of the individual flats is to blame for this morning’s fire.

Although Police have been in attendance at the incident, there are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances. The 2 officers have now stood down.

George Street remains closed to all traffic.

UPDATE @ 06:35 – The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed that a candle on a plastic box is believed to be the cause of the fire.

Crews from Newport and Sandown were also mobilised to the incident, but were stood down en-route.

Firefighters are now standing down from the incident.

George Street has re-opened.

Comment on this story

/* ]]> */